Philippine Tarsier Foundation
All living Tarsier species today are found on Southeast Asian islands, specifically the Philippines,Malaysia, Indonesia, and Brunei. Tarsiers are haplorrhine primates of the family Tarsiidae, itself the sole extant family within the suborder Tarsiiformes.
Published date: | Updated:
Facts about Tarsiers
The Philippine tarsier measures at around 3 to 6 inches tall; thereby making it the smallest primate there is. Naturally, they are very hard to spot in the forests.
Largest eye-to-body ratio
in all mammals which gives them great night vision. During the day, their eyes can constrict until their pupil will only look like a thin line; in the dark though, their pupil can dilate and fill up their entire eye.
Their eyes are fixed into their skull so they cannot turn their eye sockets, instead their neck allows them to rotate their head 180°!
Solitary, shy, and territorial
Leading a mostly hidden life, a male tarsier needs at least 6 hectares of space and a female tarsier needs at least 2 hectares. If other tarsiers come into their territory, they will fight for it, and it can often lead to the death of the other.
They become active only at night and it is only during this time that they will crost paths with other tarsiers when they hunt for their food — mostly insects.
meaning that they love to cling vertically to trees and branches as they leap from branch to branch.
From Seaport or Airport get into a tricycle and tell driver to take you to Sikatuna Jeepney Terminal (This is right infront of Island City Mall). Fare is P100.00 per tricycle.
From Sikatuna Jeepney Terminal, get into a Jeepney bound to Sikatuna via Corella. (Just anybody there which jeepney passes by Philippine Tarsier Foundation. )This jeepney drops you off to Philippine Tarsier Foundation. Fare is P17.00. Tell the driver of the jeepney that you are headed to Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella.
Upon arrival there is a huge signage and rough road, take it and walk for 300 meters to the Research Building where you will pay P60.00 entrance fee and have a guide to show you around the sanctuary and where to see the tarsiers.
Going Back, just take a jeepney headed to Tagbilaran. And yes it is safe to hitch hike here. Fare is P15.00 for jeepney.
From Airport or seaport or anywhere in Tagbilaran City, take a tricycle and ask driver to take you to Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella One way is P150 per tricycle, round trip is P500 when driver waits for you.
Car / Van
Make sure to contact a trusted travel agency. Tell them to take you to Philippine Tarsier Sanctuary in Corella. Fare is P500 per car and P1,000 round trip from Tagbilaran City.
You can contact Philippine Tarsier Foundation to arrange a car for you.
Bring Rain Coat- weather is unpredictable. The Sanctuary is in the center of forest so rain comes often than in other parts of the island.
You can put on some insect repellent
They have a documentary video there. If you have free time, you be happy to watch it.
What people say about Philippine Tarsier Foundation
No reviews yet. Be the first!
This policy contains information about your privacy. By posting, you are declaring that you understand this policy:
- Your name, rating, website address, town, country, state and review will be publicly displayed if entered.
- Aside from the data entered into these form fields, other stored data about your review will include:
- Your IP address (not displayed)
- The time/date of your submission (displayed)
- Your email address will not be shared. It is collected for only two reasons:
- Administrative purposes, should a need to contact you arise.
- To inform you of new reviews, should you subscribe to receive notifications.
- A cookie may be set on your computer. This is used to remember your inputs. It will expire by itself.
This policy is subject to change at any time and without notice.
These terms and conditions contain rules about posting reviews. By submitting a review, you are declaring that you agree with these rules:
- Although the administrator will attempt to moderate reviews, it is impossible for every review to have been moderated at any given time.
- You acknowledge that all reviews express the views and opinions of the original author and not those of the administrator.
- You agree not to post any material which is knowingly false, obscene, hateful, threatening, harassing or invasive of a person's privacy.
- The administrator has the right to edit, move or remove any review for any reason and without notice.
Failure to comply with these rules may result in being banned from submitting further reviews.
These terms and conditions are subject to change at any time and without notice.